Monday, December 28, 2009

day at the range

On Saturday, I went to a new to me (old) range, kind of a dump, and not particularly welcoming. One RO instructed that the targets had to be a certain distance out so that "young ladies don't shoot the base of the frame." Even though I am not particularly young, I looked him square in the eye and said, "OK, but I'm not going to shoot the base," to which he mumbled something in reply about how he's seen it happen about 50 times...

I know better than to argue with an RO, but you'd think he might suspect that someone dressed in camoflage with a drop and offset holstered 1911 .45ACP, carrying an enormous gun bag, wearing a hat from a local gun store might have enough shooting experience to shoot the target rather than the base of the frame. Guess not.

Anyways, it made me think how important it is in life to expect and know how to deal with crap. Life is not fair, not to women, not to men, and jerks abide in every field of endeavor. So when you encounter one, look them square in the eye, don't be cowed, let them learn who you are, and leave that target with the shot-out bullseye up when you leave.

No comments: