Monday, December 7, 2009

Gun Show

Over the weekend I attended an enormous gun show. Gun shows fascinate me - a gathering of people, any one of whom I could probably strike up a conversation with and find something in common or learn something from, regardless of our respective backgrounds. I don't immediately realize how uncommon I am as a woman in this respect (although I suspect our numbers are growing). And generally, I find it amusing when people (men and women) think it's strange that I enjoy shooting or know as much as I do about firearms. I want them to understand that enjoying and appreciating firearms has nothing to do with gender. But, based on our interaction, I think they probably come to that conclusion on their own.

So what did I learn at this weekend's show? That the price I paid for my latest acquisition from a dealer was fair, maybe a little high, but worth it to have someone to go to if problems develop. That Obama continually provides gun nuts with fodder for new t-shirt and bumper sticker slogans. That it's highly unlikely that any of the non-FFL licensed sellers there would sell a gun to anyone they thought was a gang member or illegal immigrant, and that if I were a gang member or illegal immigrant, I wouldn't feel particularly comfortable there.

True story: I was wandering around and ended up at a table with an older gentleman who sells suppressors. I asked him lots of questions - what do you have to go through to get one, how do they work, do you have clean them, what kinds are appropriate, why would someone want one? He got kind of quiet for a moment and then said, "You'll have to excuse me; I don't talk with women that often." I about burst out laughing, but suppressed it (no pun intended). But it made think - maybe this blog should be focused on women and guns - to provide a welcoming environment for sharing experiences and discussing issues of interest to women. I will give it some thought, but I will always want this to be a place that bridges the gender gap in the shooting sports, if one is there.

No comments: